As the winter set in, the scorching summer heat began to subside, but did you know that these fluctuations in temperature can affect your overall health, manifesting through your skin and hair conditions? Yes, you read that right! In other words, a combination of both inherent and external factors causes your mane to feel dry and brittle, resulting in itchiness, dandruff, and oiliness.
That, coupled with the increased use of chemicals and heat in your hair over recent years tends to lead to hair damage and breakage, leaving your once lustrous locks filled with toxins and chemical build-up. Making the hair excessively oily or frangible, do you often find yourself prey to some quick fixes to restore your tresses to their original, silken-smooth, healthful glory? Well, then worry not! Ditching the artificial, chemical treatments, your hair strands may need some all-natural self-love, through a wholesome scalp detox. Deep-rooted in earthen remedies, read on to know more about the same.
What is scalp detox?
In this fast-paced era, where AI and technology have grappled the world with their incredulous convenience and ease of navigation, as humans, don’t we often need to pause and reset from the myriad roles that we play in life? Enjoying some ‘me time,’ to rejuvenate and recentre yourselves, isn’t it always advisable to indulge in a detox? Whether it is abstaining from social media for a few days or whisking away on a weekend getaway or a relaxing retreat to tend to your inner being, why not pamper your hair with a similar uplifting self-care routine?
With your hair being an eternal, bodily crown that needs to be nourished throughout life, a scalp detox, primarily refers to the deep cleansing and reharmonizing of the scalp to strengthen your roots and environment to ensure firmer hair follicles, healthier hair growth, and holistic scalp health by eradicating impurities, artificial product or toxins accumulation and dead skin cells.
A form of deep scalp purification, several hairstylists have in the past unanimously agreed that everyone should indulge in this process occasionally. It is especially recommended for individuals who frequently use hair products, or have a very active lifestyle that leads their scalp to become oily easily. Additionally, if you wash your hair once every three to five days, a scalp detox will prevent dirt buildup within that time frame. If you resonate with any of these conditions, experts recommend getting a scalp detox done every two to three weeks. You can also add a hot oil treatment if you tend to get a dry scalp.
Now, now! Since we have a basic understanding of this process, let’s look at a few naturalistic self-care tips we can practice to elevate our hair care routine.
After all, the goodness of all things natural is more than worth it, isn’t it?
How to Keep Your Hair Detox Game going strong?
Imparting sage pearls of wisdom, our environment truly has answers to all our problems, doesn’t it? Combining that with sustainably using value-adding resources implies a win-win scenario. Implying the same to your hair care regime, here are a few splendid tips that will make your tresses look healthy, glistening, and enlivened.
- Opting for the appropriate shampoo for your hair type: While you should always choose a cleansing shampoo, you should also be careful that this product suits your hair type, which can be any of the following:
While there may be multiple types available in the market that can make this process quite overwhelming, a good starting point would be to opt for shampoos that are infused with labels like ‘aloe’, ‘toxin rid’, or ‘detox’. What is more, a clarifying shampoo that will also protect the artificially applied color retains its appeal, while uplifting the texture. Emphasizing the use of natural ingredients like tea tree, avoid using shampoos that have chemicals like parabens and sulfates that can do more harm than good in the long run.
- Comb Your Scalp Appropriately: This involves using the right type of brush for your hair to enable stimulating the scalp and allows for ease in use for other products. We would highly recommend investing in a broad-toothed comb for dry hair, working its way from the roots of your hair to the tips. You should use an oil that not only lubricates your hair shaft but also improves the quality of your hair. Lastly, use a scalp scrubber during a shower to gently massage your scalp in a circular motion to help eradicate all the toxin buildup before rinsing off your detox mask, or putting on a hair conditioner.
- Abstain from overuse of chemicals, heat, and processing: Millennials and Gen Z should be minimalistic and reduce their use of hair products, such as dyes, hair irons, and styling items like sodium laurate sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate, which deteriorate their hair texture and quality. Alternatively, we suggest treating your hair to a deep conditioner cleanse or spacing out your dyeing process to ensure that your hair has time to recover between each session being ideally a month apart.
- Use organic, essential oils: The best essential oils for maintaining your otherwise gorgeous locks are those derived from plants, such as peppermint, lavender, coconut, rosemary, clary sage, aloe vera, and ylang-ylang. A long-term, holistic approach to treating irreverent, ma (i)ne woes from the root, aromatherapy stimulates your scalp and strengthens your roots. Therefore, the condition will encourage hair growth, and reduce dandruff, hair loss, and itching, while preventing premature greys.
Now, now! Deep-diving into the world of harmony-inducing clinical aromatherapy, let’s deep-dive into some essential recipes to ace this detox life!
Aromatherapy Shine: Your Mainstay Aromatic Recipes for Luscious Locks
Essential oils, filled with robust ingredients are believed to have anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties that can tremendously improve your scalp health, through the sourced plant extracts. Applying the general rule of this age-old practice, it is imperative to dilute these highly potent oils with a balancing carrier oil and do a patch test to check for any adverse reactions. Following this, part your hair and apply this blend, gently massaging your scalp. You can either wash your hair immediately or leave this residue on for 30 minutes before applying shampoo and conditioner. In lieu, you can add drops of essential oils in the apparatus that you use for steaming your hair. And voila, say hello to nourished strands!
Incorporating these synergistic concoctions into your hair care regime, check out these detox masks:
- Baking Soda Cleansing Mask: Using it once in 15 days, this mixture will require:
- 1 tbsp of baking soda
- 1 cup plain water
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1-2 tsp of almond oil (optional)
Mixing all these ingredients thoroughly, use it on damp hair, and rinse after a few minutes.
- Cucumber and Lemon Scalp Detox: Using this blend once or twice a week, you will need:
- 1 cup cucumber
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 drops rosemary essential oil
First, blend the cucumber into a fine paste, and then add the lime juice and rosemary essential oil for a cleansing fix.
With many more available DIY scent-sational hacks, we have some exciting news for you! Our mind-body-soul uplifting Hair Care Range not only helps to thoroughly purify your scalp, but it offers more than just its aromatic worth. Read on!
SA Prescribes: Mindfully Crafted Therapeutic Oils to Revitalize Your Locks
Continuously and whole-heartedly striving towards providing our patrons with a healthier, holistic tomorrow, our mindfully crafted, signature Hair Care Range is made of 100% natural and organically green ingredients that are popularly known as our #AromaVeda essential concoctions (a fusion of our primarily used alternative therapies, Ayurveda and Aromatherapy). Your go-to, all-natural elixir, these oils are truly an enchantingly luring answer to your hairy woes!
- Nourish: This Hair Growth Oil, infused with coconut oil and rosemary helps stimulate the scalp, nurturing the roots, relaxing and conditioning the hair.
- Revive: Eponymously, this Anti Hair-Fall Oil imbued with almond and coconut oils provides complete nourishment and stimulates your scalp.
- Restore: Arresting and preventing premature greys, this relaxing oil filled with Jatamansi and Rosemary nourishes and boosts circulation to the scalp.
- Clear: This Dandruff Oil infused with Juniper and Tea Tree deeply cleanses the scalp, relieves irritation, and conditions hair.
Promoting a scalp revolution through aromatherapy infusion, are you ready to alchemize your hair serenely? You can now avail of our products at: https://secretalchemist.com/collections/hair-care