No, it’s not a fad, it’s a way of living
When was the last time you actually cared for yourself? If you don’t have a solid and thoughtful response to this, it’s time for some self-reflection! Self-care isn’t just about two four-lettered words, it’s an approach that must be given key importance in our life. Today, after the pandemic, the world seems to have opened doors to this concept but we still have a long way to go. After all, self-care equals inside-out repair.
Firstly, what is Self-care?
The Oxford Languages define self-care as “the practice of taking an active role in protecting one's own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.” Unfortunately, the modern city-life hustle leaves little to no scope for a stress-free day, which is why tension, stress and anxiety have become second nature. Self-care is as simple as (really) caring for yourself and prioritising your well-being above everything. You must make room for this practice for some time everyday in order to maintain your mental as well as physical health. Self-care focuses on well-being, which is holistic and covers internal and external health.
Why is Self-care important?
No, self-care doesn’t mean compromising on productivity. You’re always expected to be at the peak of your productivity but this, in turn, can be quite taxing, both mentally and physically. It’s crucial to pause and take a break from all the madness and care for your sanity. Adopting self-care can actually brighten up your mood, restore all the lost energy and refuel your productivity. Confidence, positivity and stability are virtues you’re bestowed with but more importantly, you also defeat a problem at its sapling stage (think stress or anxiety before it converts into depression).
Ways to maintain a good self-care routine
- Eat right: You’ve heard it before but it’s an essential tip for a happy you.
- Practise gratitude: Maintain a journal and pen down everything you’re thankful for.
- Yoga & Meditation: Befriend peace and balance with these tried and tested techniques. Add the magic of aromatherapy to boost the effect.
- Spa at home: Yes, you read that right! Bring home a spa-like experience with essential oils and body oils.
- Social Media Detox: It’s the best thing in today’s times and really works.
Stay Hydrated: Don’t underestimate the power of a hydrated and nourished body inside-out.
- Tune into a podcast: Up your positivity (or knowledge) quotient by tuning into your favourite speaker’s podcast. While doing so, roll on some essential oils and lie down for ultimate relaxation. The same can be done with music too.
- Take a power nap: This never fails to do its magic. Use calming oils that induce sleep to release tension and stress.
Yes, self care is actually this simple and effortless but could make a world of difference when it comes to boosting your well-being and health. So next time when you feel stressed, you know what to do.